2021-2022 Academic Catalog 
    May 30, 2024  
2021-2022 Academic Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Fees at Purdue University Northwest

Fees for 2021-2022

Tuition and fees, set annually by the Purdue University Board of Trustees, are subject to change without notice. The fees listed below are for the 2021-2022 academic year.

Tuition 2021-2022

Resident Undergraduate fee per credit hour (less than 12 credit hours)  $242.25
Nonresident Undergraduate fee per credit hour (less than 12 credit hours) $363.35
International or Nonresident* Undergraduate fee per credit hour (less than 12 credit hours) $580.55
Resident Undergraduate (12 to 18 credit hours banded rate) $3,633.80
Nonresident Undergraduate (12 to 18 credit hours banded rate) $5,450.60
International or Nonresident* Undergraduate (12 to 18 credit hours banded rate) $8,707.90
Resident Undergraduate (above 18 credit hours = banded rate plus fee per credit hour) $3,633.80 + $242.25/hr over 18
Nonresident Undergraduate (above 18 credit hours = banded rate plus fee per credit hour) $5,450.60 + $363.35/hr over 18
International or Nonresident* Undergraduate (above 18 credit hours = banded rate plus fee per credit hour) $8,707.90 + $580.55/hr over 18
Resident Graduate fee per credit hour $306.55
Nonresident Graduate fee per credit hour $459.85
International or Nonresident* Graduate fee per credit hour $676.35
Laboratory fee per lab hour  $70.35
Registration for examination only $204.32
Registration for degree only $204.32
Undergraduate Composite fee per credit hour (less than 12 credit hours)    $26.30
Undergraduate Composite (12 to 18 credit hours banded rate) $394.60
Undergraduate Composite (above 18 credit hours = banded rate plus fee per credit hour) $394.60 + $26.30/hr over 18
Graduate Composite fee per credit hour $19.65

*Domestic non-resident students enrolled prior to Fall 2018 will be assessed at the international rate                      

Regular Fees

Application Fee for Undergraduate Programs
This non-refundable fee is required.
Application Fee for Graduate School  
Domestic $60.00
International $75.00
Transcript Evaluation Fee $ 30.00

Fee is charged for evaluation of transfer credit. The fee is non-refundable and will not be credited to tuition and fees associated with course enrollment.

Readmission Fee $100.00

Those students dropped by the university for academic reasons are assessed a fee before application for readmission will be processed.

Replacement of Student Service Fee Card $15.00

Late Registration Fee: For students who register after classes begin, an additional nonrefundable fee of $8.50 per credit hour will be assessed.

Purdue Northwest will assess a differential fee based on students’ majors in Nursing, Business, Engineering, and Technology programs. The fee will be used to fund and support educational advancements for students in the specific major, including faculty; support and coordination of professional career development; monitoring experimental learning activities; and maintenance of labs and capstone courses. (See the Tuition and Fees page on our website for specific differential fees.)

If a student fails to fulfill any financial obligation to any university department, the student’s records will be encumbered. Students will be notified of the outstanding obligation and will be given a specified time to settle the account.

An encumbered record means that the student may not be allowed to register for courses at any Purdue University Campus and the student’s official transcript will not be released until the financial obligation is satisfied.

Payment Responsibility/Payment Options

It is the student’s responsibility to finalize payment options before the designated payment deadline date in order to prevent the cancellation of classes for the term enrolled. Students will save time and avoid lines by selecting a payment option before the designated payment deadline date.

Purdue University Northwest offers several convenient payment options to assist students to finance their educations.

Web Payment Plan (see section entitled Purdue University Northwest Payment Plan below for detailed information)

  • Access “Make a Payment” through MyPNW to easily and conveniently pay your bill for any semester that you are registered at Purdue University Northwest.
  • Accepted payment options online: Webcheck or Credit card (through Pay Path with a 2.85% convenience fee).
  • Mail Check to: Bursar’s Office, 2200 169th Street, Hammond, IN 46323-209, or Bursar’s Office, 1401 S US HWY 421, Westville, IN 46391
  • Night Deposit Box (located at the north side of Lawshe Hall off of Woodmar Avenue at the Hammond location or on the left side of the main doors to the Bursar’s Office, SWRZ 127, at the Westville location)
  • In Person: Cash or Check. Students may pay in person at the Bursar’s Office located in the Enrollment Services Center, Lawshe Hall, Room 130 in Hammond or Schwarz Hall, Room 127 in Westville.

For questions or concerns regarding payment responsibility and/or help with payment options, please call 219-989-2560 or 219-785-5337 or go to the Bursar’s website.

Purdue University Northwest Payment Plan 

There is a 5-payment plan, requiring a 20% down payment and four more monthly payments of 20% each; a 4-payment plan, requiring a 25% down payment and three more monthly payments of 25% each; a 3-payment plan, requiring a 40% down payment and two more monthly payments of 30% each; and a 2-payment plan, requiring a 50% down payment and one more monthly payment of 50%. Waiting to set up a payment plan will reduce your payment plan options, as all balances should be paid in full by the November payment.

Payments will be automatically deducted from the form of payment used for the down payment. There is a $15.00 non-refundable set-up fee.  For more specific information on available payment plans, please visit the Payment Options page on our website.


Course fees and composite fees will be refunded for withdrawal from full term classes according to the following schedule:

100% Prior to the semester starting
100% During the first week of classes
60% During the second week of classes
40% During the third week of classes
20% During the fourth week of classes
0% After the fourth week of classes

The policy during the summer semester is as follows:

100% Prior to session starting
100% During the first week of classes
40% During the second week of classes
0% After the second week of classes

For the policy during special summer semester part-of-term classes, go to Key Registration and Payment Dates.

Students must complete the withdrawal procedure by submitting a signed add/drop card to the Office of the Registrar (Enrollment Services Center, Lawshe Hall, Room 130 at Hammond or Schwarz Hall, Room 40 at Westville) to be eligible for a refund. A detailed schedule of the refund policy may be obtained from the Office of the Registrar. NOTE: Students must follow the withdrawal procedure outlined above to be officially withdrawn from a course. Failure to do so could result in the student being charged and receiving a failing grade in the class. No refund will be given for courses dropped after the fourth week of the semester.

Students whose registration is cancelled by the Dean of Students for disciplinary reasons will receive refunds based on this same schedule. Refunds of deposits may be applied to regular service and breakage charges.

Return of Financial Aid (Title IV) Funds

For students who are the recipients of financial aid (Title IV) funds and withdraw from all of their classes prior to
October 29, 2021 for the Fall 2021 semester, or March 24, 2022 for the Spring 2022 semester, or withdraw prior to the completion of more than 60% of any term, the institution is required to determine the amount of unearned financial aid funds that must be returned to the Title IV program(s). Depending on the amount of financial aid disbursed to students or onto students’ accounts, students may be liable for a portion of the amount of unearned financial aid that must be returned to the Title IV program(s). To fully withdraw from the university, students can initiate the withdrawal process by telephone by contacting the Office of the Registrar Hammond location at (219) 989-2181 or by visiting the Enrollment Services Center located in Lawshe Hall, Room 130 or the Office of the Registrar, Westville location in Schwarz Hall, Room 40.

Classification of Students as Resident or Non-Resident

The assessment of tuition and fees for a given semester is based on the student’s residence classification on the first day of classes for that semester. Students who are not classified as residents of the State of Indiana are required to pay non-resident tuition. A student’s residence classification continues in effect for subsequent semesters unless and until the classification is changed.

Residence Classification

The Director of Admissions or a designee determines the initial residence classification of an undergraduate student at the point that the student is admitted or re-enters the university. The Director of Graduate Studies or a designee determines the initial residence classification of each Graduate student at the time the student enters or re-enters the university.

All reclassifications are determined by the Registrar or a designee. Any of these authorities are authorized to require certificates, affidavits, documents, or any other evidence they deem necessary. The burden of proof is always on the student making a claim to resident student status. In addition to the required proof, to be considered domiciled in Indiana, a person must reside continuously in the state for a predominant purpose other than attending an institution of higher education for at least 12 months immediately preceding the first day of classes of the term for which resident classification is sought. Students who have further questions about residency reclassification may read the Residency guidelines and frequently asked questions on the Registrar’s webpage.

For information on Applying for In-State Residency click here.  

Changes in Residence Classification for Tuition Purposes

Either the student or the university may initiate an inquiry of residency classification. The non-resident student has the responsibility to apply to the Registrar for reclassification if the student believes that changes in the situation justify reclassification.

Change from Non-Resident to Resident

The University will presume that the initial non-Resident classification determined by the appropriate University official is accurate until sufficient evidence is presented to warrant reclassification as a Resident.

Students who want to request a review of their nonresident status should provide a completed Residence Classification of Students for Tuition Purpose form and all required supporting documentation to the Office of the Registrar no later than 15 business days after the first day of classes. A decision will be rendered no later than 30 business days after a complete application is filed, including any relevant documentation.  The student is notified of the decision in writing and/or email.

Change from Resident to Non-Resident

A Student who is classified as a Resident by the University must notify the Office of the Registrar of any change in factors that might prevent him or her from continuing to meet the definition of Resident.

Penalties for Failure to Provide Adequate Information

A student who fails to notify the University of a change of facts or provides false information which might affect classification or reclassification from Resident to non-Resident status will be required to pay retroactively any tuition fees which would normally have been assessed.

In addition, a Student who provides false information or conceals information for the purpose of maintaining or achieving Resident classification may be subject to appropriate disciplinary action as well as other penalties that may be prescribed by the law.

Residence Classification Appeal

A Student who is not satisfied with the determination concerning his or her residence classification may appeal the decision to the Residence Appeal Committee at the campus where he or she is enrolled. The appeal must be filed within 30 business days after the first day of classes of the academic session for which the determination is effective, or within 30 business days after the original decision has been reconsidered, whichever occurs later. Failure to file an appeal within this specified time limit will constitute a waiver of all claims for reconsideration for that academic session.

The appeal must be in writing and include reasons for the appeal and a complete statement of the facts upon which the appeal is based. The written appeal must be forwarded to the Chair of the Residence Appeal Committee.

Consistent with the general intent and purpose of this policy, the Residence Appeal Committee may uphold or reverse the decision of the classifying official. The committee is authorized to classify a Student as a Resident, though not meeting the specific requirements herein set forth, if the Student’s situation presents unusual circumstances and the classification is within the general scope of this policy. Persons otherwise responsible for determining residence classification of Students may assist the committee in a consultative capacity. The decision of the committee in all cases will be final.