Minimum Grade and Grade Point Average (GPA): Minimum grade of C- required for BIOL 10100, 10200, and MA 16031; 2.0 GPA
Experiential Learning (EL): One EL course required. EL courses are noted by (e) next to the course title. Most students fulfill this requirement by taking ENGL 10500. Clinical hospital course work towards this degree can also be used to fulfill the EL requirement.
General Education Core: General Education notations can be found within the course description. Please click on a course to see if it meets a Gen Ed requirement.
Milestone Courses noted by (m) next to the course title have been identified as being critical to your success in this field of study.
Please see the Additional Information and Guidelines section below for more information.
Additional Information and Guidelines
Note 1: Additional GPA Requirement for BS Medical Technology Degree:
▪ Minimum 2.0 GPA for all required biology courses: BIOL 10700, 10100, 10200, 24300, 24400, 31600, 42600, and 56100 (may substitute 32020).
▪ Minimum 2.0 GPA for all biology courses required for graduation.
Note 2: Humanities/ Social Sciences Electives
▪ This degree requires 3-credit hours of electives from Humanities and Social Sciences in addition to the 3-credits required from each of these areas that must be chosen from the approved General Education list (see General Education Core above).
Note 3: Biology Elective (minimum 6 credits):
▪ Biology elective courses for Medical Laboratory Science majors range from 3 to 5 credits.
▪ Choose courses from the following: BIOL 35700, 41800, 50700, 50800, 51601, 53300, BIOL 59500 Cell and Tissue Culture, BIOL 52020 Virology, or courses approved by the department.
Note 4: Clinical Training (32 credits):
▪ Two semesters of Clinical Training are completed in one of the affiliated hospitals - St. Margaret Mercy Health Care Centers, North Campus (Hammond, IN), OSF Saint Francis Medical Center (Peoria, IL), Community Hospital (Munster, IN) or Hines VA Hospital (Hines, IL).
▪ An overall GPA of 2.5 as well as a GPA of 2.5 in the sciences is required for admission to this program.
▪ Completion of prerequisite courses at Purdue University Northwest does not guarantee admission to an affiliated hospital program.
▪ Consult your advisor for application procedure.
Note 5: Biological Science Practicum:
▪ One EL unit is required to graduate (0-3 credits). Most students fulfill this requirement by taking ENGL 10500. Clinical hospital course work towards this degree can also be used to fulfill the EL requirement.
Note 6: Students may take BIOL 32020 Biology of the Immune System