2016-2017 Academic Catalog 
    May 30, 2024  
2016-2017 Academic Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Fees at Purdue University Northwest

Fees for 2016-2017

Tuition and fees, set annually by the Purdue University Board of Trustees, are subject to change without notice. The fees listed below are for the 2016-2017 academic year.

Tuition 2016-2017

Resident Undergraduate fee per credit hour $224.85
Nonresident Undergraduate fee per credit hour $538.75
Resident Graduate fee per credit hour $284.50
Nonresident Graduate fee per credit hour $627.60
Laboratory fee per lab hour $ 65.30
Registration for examination only $204.32
Registration for degree only $204.32
Undergraduate Composite fee per credit hour $ 24.40
Graduate Composite fee per credit hour $18.25

Regular Fees

Application Fee for Undergraduate Programs
This non-refundable fee is required.
$ 25.00
Application Fee for Graduate School $ 60.00
Transcript Evaluation Fee $ 30.00

Fee is charged for evaluation of transfer credit. The fee is non-refundable and will not be credited to tuition and fees associated with course enrollment.

Readmission Fee $100.00

Those students dropped by the university for academic reasons are assessed a fee before application for readmission will be processed.

Replacement of Student Service Fee Card $ 15.00

Late Registration Fee: For students who register after classes begin, an additional nonrefundable fee of $8.50 per credit hour will be assessed.

Breakage Fee: Usually included in course fees for the cost of normal breakage and wear and tear on equipment. An additional charge will be levied against individuals for excessive waste, loss or breakage, to be paid before course credit will be given.


Purdue Northwest will assess a differential fee based on students’ majors in Nursing, Business, Engineering, and Technology programs beginning with students admitted Fall 2016. The fee will be used to fund and support educational advancements for students in the specific major, including faculty; support and coordination of professional career development; monitoring experimental learning activities; and maintenance of labs and capstone courses.

If a student fails to fulfill any financial obligation to any university department, the student’s records will be encumbered. Students will be notified of the outstanding obligation and will be given a specified time to settle the account.

An encumbered record means that the student may not be allowed to register for courses at any Purdue University Campus and the student’s official transcript will not be released until the financial obligation is satisfied.

Payment Responsibility/Payment Options

It is the student’s responsibility to finalize payment options before the designated payment deadline date in order to prevent the cancellation of classes for the term enrolled. Students will save time and avoid lines by selecting a payment option before the designated payment deadline date.

Purdue University Northwest offers several convenient payment options to assist students to finance their educations.

Web Payment Plan (see section entitled Purdue University Northwest Payment Plan for detailed information)

  • Access “Pay my Bill” through MyPNW to easily and conveniently pay your bill for any semester that you are registered at Purdue University Northwest.
  • Accepted payment options online: Webcheck or Credit card (through Pay Path with a 2.75 % convenience fee). Access MyPNW via the Web at: www.pnw.edu
  • Mail Check to: Bursar’s Office, 2200 169th Street, Hammond, IN 46323-209, or Bursar’s Office, 1401 S US HWY 421, Westville, IN 46391
  • Night Deposit Box (located at the north side of Lawshe Hall off of Woodmar Avenue at the Hammond location or on the left side of the main doors to the Bursar’s Office, SWRZ 127, at the Westville location)
  • In Person: Cash, or Check. Students may select payment options in person at the Bursar’s Office located in the Enrollment Services Center, Lawshe Hall, Room 130 at Calumet or Schwarz Hall, Room 127 at North Central.

For questions or concerns regarding payment responsibility and/or help with payment options, please contact the Bursar’s Office at 219-989-2560 or 219-785-5337 or view their website at: www.pnw.edu/bursar

Purdue University Northwest Payment Plan - Fall 2016

25% due at time of signing up, with 3 payments on the 5th of Sept, Oct & Nov. Must sign up by 4:00 on August 11th. Payments will be automatically deducted from the form of payment they use for the down payment on the payment dates. 8% APR, no application fee.


Course fees, technology fees, and student services fees will be refunded for withdrawal from full term classes according to the following schedule:

100% Prior to the semester starting
100% During the first week of classes
60% During the second week of classes
40% During the third week of classes
20% During the fourth week of classes
0% After the fourth week of classes

The policy during the summer semester is as follows:

100% Prior to session starting
100% During the first week of classes
40% During the second week of classes
0% After the second week of classes

Students must complete the withdrawal procedure by submitting a signed add/drop card to the Office of the Registrar (Enrollment Services Center — Lawshe Hall Room 130 at Hammond or Schwarz Hall Room 40 at Westville), to be eligible for a refund. A detailed schedule of the refund policy may be obtained from the Office of the Registrar. NOTE: Students must follow the withdrawal procedure outlined above to be officially withdrawn from a course. Failure to do so could result in the student being charged and receiving a failing grade in the class. No refund will be given for courses dropped after the fourth week of the semester.

Students whose registration is cancelled by the Dean of Students for disciplinary reasons will receive refunds based on this same schedule. Refunds of deposits on equipment are subject to regular service and breakage charges.

Return of Financial Aid (Title IV) Funds

For students who are the recipients of financial aid (Title IV) funds and withdraw from all of their classes prior to October 28th, 2016 for the Fall 2016 semester, or March 24th, 2017 for the Spring 2017 semester, or withdraw prior to the completion of more than 60% of any term, the institution is required to determine the amount of unearned financial aid funds that must be returned to the Title IV program(s). Depending on the amount of financial aid disbursed to students or onto students’ accounts, students may be liable for a portion of the amount of unearned financial aid that must be returned to the Title IV program(s). To fully withdraw from the university, students can initiate the withdrawal process by telephone by contacting the Office of the Registrar Hammond location at (219) 989-2181 or by visiting the Enrollment Services Center located in Lawshe Hall, Room 130, or the Office of the Registrar, Westville location, in Schwarz Hall Room 40 at North Central.

Classification of Students as Resident or Non-Resident

The assessment of tuition and fees for a given semester is based on the student’s residence classification on the first day of classes for that semester. Students who are not classified as residents of the State of Indiana are required to pay non-resident tuition. A student’s residence classification continues in effect for subsequent semesters unless and until the classification is changed.

Responsibility for Residence Classification

The Director of Admissions or a designee determines the initial residence classification of an undergraduate student at the point that the student is admitted or re-enters the university. The Executive Dean or a designee determines the initial residence classification of each Graduate student at the time the student enters or re-enters the university.

All reclassifications are determined by the Registrar or a designee. Any of these authorities are authorized to require certificates, affidavits, documents, or any other evidence they deem necessary. The burden of proof is always on the student making a claim to resident student status. In addition to the required proof, to be considered domiciled in Indiana, a person must reside continuously in the state for a predominant purpose other than attending an institution of higher education for at least 12 months immediately preceding the first day of classes of the term for which resident classification is sought. Students who have further questions about residency reclassification may request a brochure from the offices of any of these authorities.

Changes in Residence Classification for Tuition Purposes

Either the student or the university may initiate an inquiry of residency classification. The non-resident student has the responsibility to apply to the Registrar for reclassification if the student believes that changes in the situation justify reclassification.

To apply for a change

The student must apply in writing, using a form available from the Office of the Registrar, at any time after the requirements for domicile have been met, but no later than 15 days after the start of classes for the semester in which reclassification is sought. The Registrar will make a decision no later than 30 days after the completed application is filed.

Penalties for Failure to Provide Adequate Information

A student who fails to notify the University of a change of facts or provides false information which might affect classification or reclassification from resident to non-resident status will be required to pay retroactively any tuition fees which would normally have been assessed.

The student who provides false information or conceals information to achieve resident status may also be subject to disciplinary action as well as other penalties under the law.

Residence Classification Review

A student who is not satisfied with a determination concerning his/her residence classification may appeal the decision to the Residence Appeals Committee, which convenes on the Hammond location. The appeal shall be in writing and shall include reasons for the appeal and a complete statement of the facts upon which the appeal is based, together with supporting affidavits, or other documentary evidence. The appeal must be filed within thirty days after the first day of classes of the academic session for which the determination is effective or within thirty days after the original decision has been reconsidered, whichever occurs later. Failure to file such an appeal within the specified time limit shall constitute a waiver of all claims to reconsideration for that academic session.