May 18, 2022
About the Program
Through research and publication, in-class teaching, and out-of-the-classroom experiences, sociology faculty at PNW reach out in the best tradition of our discipline’s sociological analysis and community commitment. Students are prepared for a variety of careers both in and outside of the social sciences.
- 120 Credit Hours
- Minimum grade of C required for ENGL 10400 and all Foreign Language courses; C- required for BHS 10300, SOC 10000, and SOC 22000
- Minimum GPA of 2.0 required for graduation
- Certain courses may only be available at one campus location
PNW General Education Core (31 Credits Minimum)
CHESS College Core (36 Credits)
- Modern Language (12 Credits)
- Gender Issues (3 Credits)
- Global Cultures (3 Credits)
- Individual and Society (3 Credits)
- Literature and the Arts (3 Credits)
- Racial and Ethnic Diversity (3 Credits)
- Social Ethics (3 Credits)
- United States Tradition (3 Credits)
- Western Heritage (3 Credits)
For courses that meet these requirements, please see the CHESS College Core list .
Other Required Courses (5 Credits)
- Free Electives (5 Credits)
Total 120 Credits Required
Minimum Grade and Grade Point Average (GPA): Minimum grade of C required for ENGL 10400 and all Foreign Language courses; C- required for BHS 10300, SOC 10000, and SOC 22000; 2.0 GPA
Experiential Learning (EL): One EL course required. EL courses are noted by (e) next to the course title.
General Education Core: General Education notations can be found within the course description. Please click on a course to see if it meets a Gen Ed requirement.
Milestone Courses noted by (m) next to the course title have been identified as being critical to your success in this field of study.
Courses that are only offered on one campus will be noted by an (H) for Hammond, or (W) for Westville.
Please see the Additional Information and Guidelines section below for more information.
Additional Information and Guidelines
Note 1: Foreign Language Requirement
- Foreign Language Level I - Choose from SPAN 10100, FR 10100, GER 10100, or JPNS 10100
- Foreign Language Level II - Choose from SPAN 10200, FR 10200, GER 10200, or JPNS 10200
- Foreign Language Level III - Choose from SPAN 20100, FR 20100, GER 20100, or JPNS 20100
- Foreign Language Level IV - Choose from SPAN 20200, FR 20200, GER 20200, or JPNS 20200.
- Must complete 4 semesters of the same foreign language.
Note 2: Sociology/Criminal Justice Elective – Choose from the following: CRJU 32000 Murder in America, CRJU 34000 Criminal Law, CRJU 34100 Criminal Investigation, CRJU 3xx00 Deviance in America, CRJU 3xxxx Women and the Law, HIST 33600 History of Organized Crime in America, OLS 30300 Substance Abuse in the Workplace, OLS 47700 Conflict Management, POL 34600 Law and Society, POL 46100 Constitutional Law, PSY 35500 Child Abuse and Neglect, SOC 30600 Methods in Human Services, SOC 36400 Child and Family Welfare.