About the Program
Writing majors learn the practical aspects of communicating on the job, in business or in industry, to prepare for careers in publishing, editing, writing, and technical communication.
- 120 Credit Hours
- Minimum grade of C required for all Foreign Language and Writing Requirement courses
- Minimum GPA of 2.0 required for graduation
PNW General Education Core (30 Credits Minimum)
Foreign Language (12 Credits)
Spanish, French, German, American Sign Language, or Japanese - must complete four (4) semesters of the same foreign language
Writing Requirement (36 Credits)
Must take twelve (12) courses from:
Additional Math or Science Course (3 Credits)
Political Science (3 Credits)
Aesthetics (3 Credits)
Choose one (1) course from:
Free Electives (24 Credits)
Total 120 Credits Required
Minimum Grade and Grade Point Average (GPA): Minimum grade of C required in all Foreign Language and Writing Requirement courses; 2.0 GPA
Experiential Learning (EL): One EL course required. EL courses are noted by (e) next to the course title.
General Education Core: General Education notations can be found within the course description. Please click on a course to see if it meets a Gen Ed requirement.
Milestone Courses noted by (m) next to the course title have been identified as being critical to your success in this field of study.
Courses that are only offered on one campus will be noted by an (H) for Hammond, or (W) for Westville.
Please see the Additional Information and Guidelines section below for more information.
Additional Information and Guidelines
Note 1: Foreign Language –
- Level I Course: Choose from: SPAN 10100, FR 10100, GER 10100, ASL10100, or JPNS 10100;
- Level II Course: Choose from: SPAN 10200, FR 10200, GER 10200, ASL10200, or JPNS 10200;
- Level III Course: Choose from: SPAN 20100, FR 20100, GER 20100, ASL 20100, or JPNS 20100;
- Level IV Course: Choose from: SPAN 20200, FR 20200, GER 20200, ASL 20200 or JPNS 20200.
- Must complete 4 semesters of same foreign language
Note 2: Writing Requirement – Must take 12 courses from: COM/ENGL 30200 (m), COM/ENGL 45100 (E X L), ENGL 31900, 40400, 40600 (m) (E X L), 41101 (E X L), 42000 (m), 43100 (E X L), 43600 (E X L), 43700 (m) (E X L), 42501, or 43500.
Note 3: Additional Math or Science Course – PHIL 15000 or choose any MA (except MA 11500), STAT, SCI, or CIS course.
Note 4: Aesthetics - Choose 1 course from: AD 25500, MUS 25000, ENGL 31900, ENGL 28600, COM 34300, or THTR 20100.