Jan 27, 2023
About the Program
The Human Development and Family Studies (HDFS) field offers its professionals a chance to work with a variety of individuals of any age and their families in different service settings. HDFS courses prepare you for future work with members of families, helping them through systems and enhancing their relationships through experiential learning in the community while providing a foundation of knowledge for your career. The Individual and Family Services concentration is for those students who want to learn about and work with adolescents, adults or in all-age fields/settings along with their families. Students who successfully complete the program qualify for an abbreviated application process to obtain a CFLE (Certified Family Life Educator) certification after graduation.
- 120 Credit Hours
- Minimum grade of C required for HDFS 35002 and HDFS 45001; C- required for ENGL 10400 and all BHS, HDFS, SOC, and Modern Language courses
- Minimum GPA of 2.0 required for graduation
- Certain courses may only be available at one campus location
PNW General Education Core (30 Credits)
CHESS College Core (24 Credits)
Concentration Core (18 Credits)
Other Required Courses (18 Credits)
- Free Electives (18 Credits)
Civics Literacy Proficiency
The Civics Literacy Proficiency activities are designed to develop civic knowledge of Purdue Northwest students in an effort to graduate a more informed citizenry.
Students will complete the Proficiency by passing a test of civic knowledge, and completing one of three paths:
- Attending six approved civics-related events and completing an assessment for each; or
- Completing 12 podcasts created by the Purdue Center for C-SPAN Scholarship and Engagement that use C-SPAN material and completing an assessment for each; or
- Earning a passing grade for one of the approved courses (or transferring in approved AP or departmental credit in lieu of taking a course)
For more information visit the Civics Literacy Proficiency website.
Total 120 Credits Required
Minimum Grade and Grade Point Average (GPA): Minimum grade of C required for HDFS 35002 and HDFS 45001; C- required for ENGL 10400 and all BHS, HDFS, SOC, and Modern Language courses; 2.0 GPA
Experiential Learning (EL): One EL course required. EL courses are noted by (e) next to the course title.
General Education Core: General Education notations can be found within the course description. Please click on a course to see if it meets a Gen Ed requirement.
Milestone Courses noted by (m) next to the course title have been identified as being critical to your success in this field of study.
Please see the Additional Information and Guidelines section below for more information.
Additional Information and Guidelines
Note 1: Freshman Seminar Behavioral Sciences (FYE) requirement also met with any other PNW (FYE) 1-3 credit course.
Note 2: A proficiency through level IV in one world language is required.
Note 3: Note: All four CHESS Core seminar courses, CHSS 10000, CHSS 20000, CHSS 30000, and CHSS 40000, must be taken. Duplicates are not allowed.